The kitchen, as per Vastu, is the source where food that nourishes the inhabitants of the home, is cooked. We look at some Kitchen Vastu Shastra dos and don’ts for this crucial area of the house
The kitchen, today, is the hub of activity in a modern home. Kitchens are well-designed areas with the latest gadgets, where family members are seen cooking, bonding together and even socialising with friends and family.
The right direction of kitchen as per Vastu is the south-east corner of the house, which is ruled by the Agni devta or Fire god. Thus, it is the ideal kitchen position as per Vastu shastra guidelines.
Kitchen direction as per Vastu
The southeast is the ideal direction for a kitchen, as per Vastu for an east facing house. However, if this place is not available to accommodate a kitchen, the one can consider northwest but avoid north, west and northeast directions. One can consider southeast or northwest direction for a west facing house to design a kitchen.
A kitchen in north west direction is suitable for some people and their health, especially women. The direction is ruled by Vayu/ air or the wind god. Air works as a supportive element for fire. When designing a kitchen in northwest, ensure that the southeast direction is also balanced. One should consider a kitchen in south west direction only if designing it in the southeast and northwest directions is not possible. To rectify this Vastu dosha, place the gas in southeast zone and colour the walls in yellow shades to balance the negative effects. Use minimal amount of water inside the kitchen. As per Vastu, for washing utensils, make a space outside the kitchen.
While choosing the best kitchen location as per Vastu, the size of the kitchen is important too. It should not be very small. The preferable size is 80 sq ft or more. If the kitchen is very small, it can have a negative impact on the women of the house..
According to Vastu, one’s home should have a proper balance of the elements of earth, sky, air, fire and water. “Fire or ‘agni devta’, is associated with the Sun, which symbolises energy and strength. As per Vastu, the placement of fire sources should be in the south-east direction. So, the kitchen should be in the south east corner of the house and one should face east while cooking. While cooking, west direction is an alternate neutral direction to face as per Vastu, while cooking. The sink should ideally be placed in the north-west zone of the kitchen. Place the water pots and water purifier in the north-east side,” says Mumbai-based Nitien Parmar of VastuPlus.
A clean, spacious and clutter-free kitchen is a must for good health and prosperity. The kitchen must have windows and be airy and have enough light. In order to avoid clutter and have ample space while cooking, the design of the kitchen should be minimal, with clean, simple lines. Storage space, as far as possible, should be on the west and south walls of the kitchen.
“Water dripping from a tap or a leaking pipe in the kitchen, denotes that wealth is being drained from one’s life and should be immediately repaired. Always keep the rice jar at home filled more than half for prosperity. Avoid keeping storage jars on old newspapers. Do not keep the dustbin in north-east of the kitchen and avoid cooking under an overhead beam,” adds Parmar. Vastu Shastra, which advocates the design and construction of buildings in harmony with the natural laws of the universe, has several guidelines for the open and closed kitchen, so that the home has the right kind of energy and positivity. The atmosphere in the kitchen is very important, for the occupant’s health and other benefits, says Vastu Shastra and astrology expert, Jayshree Dhamani. “Health is wealth and the correct position and placement of things, in the appropriate direction, matters according to Vastu Shastra. It is the fireplace which purifies the energy of the house and thus, the food cooked there is said to fuel and nourish the body. Hence the fire has to be placed in the perfect direction. Kitchens should not be in the north-east and south-west,” explains Dhamani.
Kitchen Vastu significance
As per Vastu shastra, the way a house is designed can influence the flow of energies around us. From living beings to non-living objects, everything has an impact on the energy flow, which is why Vastu guidelines must be followed to ensure positivity and eliminate the negative energies. The kitchen has a vital role to play in the house. It is the place where the food is cooked that is responsible for giving us energy. Designing the kitchen is the wrong direction may cause imbalance in the energies, which can directly have an impact on the inhabitants of the house. Thus, selecting the right direction for the kitchen as per Vastu, becomes essential.
Vastu for kitchen ventilation and windows
If there is improper ventilation in the kitchen, it can result in major health issues for the woman of the house, or whoever cooks in the kitchen. In the kitchen, the right position of windows, as per vastu, plays a crucial role in ensuring a positive atmosphere. A proper window, or air outlets in the form of an exhaust fan or modern chimneys, are important to suck the air out. With good light and air, the quality of the food becomes better. For windows in the kitchen according to Vastu, the best direction is in the east. An exhaust fan too can be placed in the east.
Vastu for Kitchen: Tips for open kitchen layout
The concept of open kitchen is gaining preference from a lot of Indian families, especially those who have lived abroad for several years. Before selecting kitchen location as per vastu, here are a few Vastu tips for open kitchen layouts you should keep in mind:
- The ideal zone for an open kitchen is the south-east, as both, the south and east, directions are dominated by the fire element.
- Open kitchen layouts in the north zone should be avoided, as it affects new opportunities in career, growth and money.
- The west zone is also considered good for open kitchen layouts. As per Vastu, an open kitchen in west direction promotes gains and good health, physically and financially.
Kitchen items and their direction as per Vastu
|Entry door||North, east or west|
|Cooking gas||South-east corner|
|Refrigerator||South-east, south, north or west|
|Equipment (e.g., heaters, conventional ovens, microwaves, ovens)||South-east or south|
|Storage racks||Western or southern wall|
|Windows and exhaust fan||East direction|
|Clocks||South or south-west wall|
Kitchen Vastu colours
|Wall colours for kitchen as per Vastu||Represents|
|White||Cleanliness and purity|
|Yellow||Cheery and positive|
|Pastel shades||Warmth and love|
|Colours for kitchen cabinets, floors and slabs|
|Lemon yellow, orange or green cabinets||Freshness, good health|
|Ceramic tiles, mosaic or marble flooring||Positivity|
|Quartz or granite slabs||Balanced environment|
The kitchen symbolises purity. Therefore, white is the best colour for kitchen according to Vastu Shastra but do not overdo the white colour. One should not use too much red either in the kitchen, as it creates unstable energy. Avoid using dark colours as they may lead to depression. Other ideal colours recommended for the kitchen are green, lemon yellow and orange as these represent nourishing colours and colours of fire. Opt for white in the kitchen ceiling to create balance. Avoid using black, grey and blue colours in the kitchen. “In case one cannot have a separate pooja room, one can have a temple in the kitchen, in the north/east corner, provided one cooks vegetarian food. If non-vegetarian food is cooked, then, it is better not to keep a temple in the kitchen,” concludes Dhamani. Vastu Shastra principles suggest that one can place the mandir, either to the left or right of the stove. Avoid placing the stove opposite the mandir. Also, as per Vastu, the place for kitchen sink and stove should never be near or below the mandir. Do not use black colour in the kitchen. Light pastel shades are ideal.
Kitchen slab Vastu
For a kitchen slab according to Vastu Shastra, it is better to use stone or marble instead of granite, especially in black colour. The colour for the kitchen slab depends on the direction in which the kitchen is located. If the kitchen is in the east, a green or brown slab is ideal. For a kitchen in the north-east, opt for a yellow slab. For a kitchen location, as per Vastu principles, in the south or south-east, brown, maroon or green slabs are best as per Vastu principles. A grey or yellow slab is recommended for a kitchen in the west. Green is the colour for the kitchen slab in the north, although, ideally, one should avoid having the kitchen in the north area.
Kitchen Vastu: Dos and don’ts
Vastu for kitchen: Don’ts
- Do not have a kitchen directly under or above toilets.
- The kitchen, as per Vastu experts, must never face the main entrance of the house.
- Do not keep medicines in the kitchen.
- Avoid keeping waste material, like old newspapers, rags and unwanted items, in the kitchen.
- According to Vastu do not store salt in steel or iron utensils.
- Washbasins and the cooking range should never be kept on the same platform or parallel to each other in the kitchen. Since both fire and water are opposing elements, it can create fights and rifts between couples and family members.
- As per Vastu Shastra, never keep the shoe rack close to the kitchen. Avoid wearing shoes in the kitchen. If one has to wear slippers, keep a separate pair to be worn only at home.
- If there is an overhead tanker in the kitchen, then as per Vastu, it should not face the north or northeast direction. You can place it outside the kitchen in west direction as recommended in Vastu.
Vastu for kitchen: Dos
- Regularly clean the kitchen. Mop the floor thoroughly and discard all unwanted things. Never keep chipped or broken cups, dishes or pans. Always clean your kitchen and the utensils daily at night, before sleeping.
- Ensure that the garbage bin is always covered with a lid and the dustbins are cleaned regularly.
- Keep a tulsi, pudina, bamboo or any herbal plant in the kitchen window area. Avoid thorny plants, as these give rise to tensions in the environment.
- Keep a small idol of goddess Annapurna (goddess of food ) in a rice jar. One can also keep a picture of Annapurna devi or a picture of fruits, which ensures abundance in the kitchen.
- A well-organised and a neat kitchen, not only helps one to cook with ease but also creates a positive vibe.
- A basket with fruits should be placed in the northern side of the kitchen, as it symbolises abundance.
- A kitchen should always have salt, turmeric, rice and flour. Ensure that these are replenished before they get over, advises Vastu. Keep the salt in a glass pot or jar. This aids in peace at home and also keep financial problems away.
- To fill the kitchen with positive energy, ensure that the kitchen smells good. You can make a natural air freshener by boiling lemon peels, orange peels or cinnamon sticks.
- Keep the burners of the kitchen stove clean, as this ensures smooth flow of cash in a household.
- The kitchen should have a window, to let the negativity out. Also, install an exhaust in the east direction above the window, to let the negative energies flow out.
- As per Vastu, the entrance, or the door to your kitchen, should be in the east, north, or west direction.
- When deciding the kitchen position as per vastu, make sure the kitchen door should always open in a clockwise direction.
- Ensure that all the objects inside the kitchen that represent fire, such as gas stoves, cylinders, microwave ovens, toasters, etc., are placed in the south-east part of the kitchen.
- If you want to keep the refrigerator in the kitchen, it should be positioned in the south west direction, as per Vastu, as it will help you in overcoming obstacles in life. Keep the fridge well-organised, clean and ensure that it is not stuffed. If one keeps bottles filled with water, fill it with fresh water regularly.
- For storing grains and stocks of daily items, prefer the south west direction of the kitchen, as per Vastu, as it invites good luck and prosperity. Discard empty containers or fill them with some grains. Empty vessels jars if any must be kept at North or East or even at Northeast.
- To keep circulating positive energy, clean your kitchen cabinets, drawers and other storage areas regularly. Get rid of old food packets, stale things, chipped plates or even equipment that does not work.
- It is beneficial to store ghee and cooking oil between the south-east and south areas of the kitchen, as it is believed that this would lead the kitchen to be always be full of food.
- As per kitchen Vastu, knives and scissors should be kept covered or inside the shelf. Keeping them in the open can give rise to bitter relationships with family and friends. Always keep pickles in a covered place, to avoid sourness in relationships.
- Maintain a balance between the water and fire elements in the Kitchen. Wash basins, water pipes, washing machine, and the kitchen drain must be positioned in the north or northeast direction.
Kitchen cabinets and their direction as per Vastu
For any kitchen, the position of cabinets as per vastu also has an influence on the flow of energies in the house. Design maximum cabinets in the south and west kitchen walls. Leaving open space above kitchen cabinets can attract negative energy. If the kitchen cabinets do not extend to the ceiling, keep plants or decorative items on them.
For kitchen cabinets in the east go for shades of green and brown
For cabinets in South and South East red, maroon, pink, orange and brown are ideal.
For kitchen cabinets in the west, ideal colours are silver and white
For a kitchen in the north opt for blue, green and brown
Vastu tips for kitchen design and décor
- Avoid an all-white kitchen, as it can make the space look dull and cold. A kitchen should always look welcoming.
- Do not build too many cabinets in dark colours, as it can make the space look claustrophobic and overbearing.
- Place the kitchen platform position as per Vastu principles. According to kitchen Vastu, platforms touching the north wall of the kitchen should be avoided but platforms can be extended on the southern wall.
- If a loft is required in the kitchen, then, it should be on the west or south wall and not on east or north.
- According to Vastu, keeping a water-filled pot in the kitchen helps in keeping financial woes away. If one cannot keep a big earthen pot, opt for a small one. Fill it with water and keep it in the north or north-east portion.
- If you want a timeless look, avoid decorative decals as it may go out of trend very soon.
- Do not use dark colours in a small kitchen as it makes the space look smaller.
- High cabinets and low ceilings are not the best match, as one will shrink the perception of the other.
- Make sure the kitchen stove is placed in the right direction as per Vastu. As per Vastu for kitchen sink and stove, if the stove and sink are close to each other, place a bone china vase between them as a Vastu remedy.
- Ensure that the windows open out to the east or the north for natural light.
- The floor colours of the kitchen should be yellow, orange, rose, chocolate or red.
- The kitchen design should be such that the position of gas burner, as per Vastu, is not right in front of the main door of the kitchen.
- Avoid keeping a broom in the kitchen and never keep it upright. Always keep it on the ground.
Which direction to face while cooking as per Vastu?
One should face the east direction while cooking. Thus, kitchen items such as gas stove and appliances should be placed in a way that one faces east while cooking. An alternate cooking direction is the west. In case the placement of stove is close to the sink, then keep a bone china vase in between as a Vastu remedy.
Kitchen Vastu remedies to remove Vastu dosh at home
Here are a few simple remedies for kitchen Vastu dosha but it is always better to consult a Vastu expert and seek advice.
- If the kitchen location, as per Vastu, is in the northeast or north direction, then, as per Vastu, a Jupiter crystal pyramid placed above the stove helps to reduce the negative energy of the Vastu dosha.
- If the placement of the stove is not as per Vastu Shastra, then, paste a set of three zinc pyramids on the wall opposite the stove.
- According to Vastu, if the kitchen platform is black, and one is unable to replace then put white tiles under the stove.
- For the kitchen that has a Vastu flaw of facing the main door of the house,, hang a 50 mm crystal between the main door and the kitchen door, on the ceiling.
- Hang a 50 mm crystal on the four corners of the ceiling of the kitchen, to minimise the Vastu dosha arising out of incorrect placement of the water storage tank.
- If electrical appliances are placed in directions other than the south-east in the Kitchen, as per Vastu, paste a Mars crystal pyramid beside the electrical appliances.
- If the kitchen is in the north-east direction which is not favoured by Vastu, then, it is advisable to paint it in yellow colour to minimise the ill effects of Vastu fault.
- If the kitchen and the toilet share a common wall, then, a zinc metal ‘nine pyramid’ should be pasted on both sides of the wall that is common to the kitchen and bathroom, to reduce the negative impact of Vastu fault.
- A simple remedy is to place a crystal and a yellow light bulb in the temple, if the temple or the puja room is above the kitchen sink.
- To correct Vastu doshas, you can also place small portions of uncrushed sea salt. It absorbs all the negative energy from home. Replace the salt in the bowl regularly.
- The kitchen door should not be behind the person who is cooking. The door should open in a clockwise direction, either towards the east, north, or north-east direction. If this is not possible, then, a Vastu remedy is to fix three Zinc Jupiter crystal pyramids on the wall opposite the stove.